It’s here—2018! Another new year, and another set of new goals. I know, I know. I said I don’t do resolutions. Well, I’m not really doing resolutions—I’m doing an 18 things I want to accomplish in 2018 list.
There’s a difference. Really. Words have meaning and can influence you, consciously or not. The words “resolution” or “goal” don’t work for me. When I hear those words, I have a negative reaction. But when I make a list of “things I want to accomplish,” that works for me. It sounds good to me—more doable, more friendly, more like my everyday language.
What also works for me is having a parameter, like the number 18. Even still, I did make my list 18+ this year. And you know what? I like this list. When I look at it, I get excited about all the things I’m going to accomplish this year. It feels good. So whatever you choose for 2018, choose what works for you.
Here’s what I’m choosing for 2018:
18+ Things to Accomplish in 2018
- Send out at least 12 submissions (aim for one a month).
- Finalize Scar Tissue short story and submit it.
- Write Mother’s Day mom essay and submit it.
- Read one book a week
- Visit a local/indie bookstore once a month.
- Read a book in a genre I don’t usually read.
- Launch new lifestyle website. (The name is yet to be revealed but it’s a good one!)
- Reach out and pitch freelance work (or a job) at least once a month.
- Find a new coworking place / group.
- Open my hips and shoulders.
- Do the stairs once a day.
- One clean-meal day a week.
- Update my will.
- Open up a health savings account.
- Sell my condo.
- Visit a new city, state, or country. (This will be on my list every year!)
- Go to a farm sanctuary or goat farm (and/or volunteer).
- Visit a historic site in the United States that I haven’t seen before.
- Go on my Sabbath trip.
- Take a class: art, dance, website design, blogging, or other fun, creative one.
- Go to the Morton Arboretum.
(Image with quote found here.)